Sunday, February 26, 2006

 

Another Restaurant Review? Why?

So I'm an admitted foody. I've read Tony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential" and follow his TV show travels religiously. He's a god to me. I worship Jacques Pepin and adore Paula Deen. I eat at restaurants every chance I get. I cook, I've worked in restaurants. My favorite job was as a bartender. In short, I love, love, love food. I love eating it, I love being around it, I love creating it. So what makes me think I can offer better restaurant advice than the next guy? Not one goddamn thing.

But I do think the reviewers in Pittsburgh are just too damn nice. I read their opinions in their many reviews and when I go to these places I don't have the same experience at all. Granted, I might be there on a "bad night" but I do think they gloss over key items that are essential to making to making a meal out a memorable experience.

I'm a laid-back person, even sloth-like, in every aspect of my life except two: food and travel. In these things I'm a total curmudgeon, a total bitch, a complete asshole. I have high expectations. That's all.

Part of me is disheartened that I've become this way. I used to tease my father-in-law for being so picky, but not anymore. I've had some incredible food in some incredible places. Is it too much to expect this kind of experience all the time, every time? I don't think so.

And so here are my reviews, without apology. Take them or leave them, but I'll always be honest, and I'll always be impartial. At times I'll be totally heartless, but I also won't hesitate to give credit where credit is due.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?